01 Buford's Mill (Circa
1940)", The Mill, contributed by Daine Harrison, Barren
02 Buford's Mill , contributed by Daine Harrison,
Barren County, KY. The Mill as it appears now.
Hotel" Although shown as Murral, it was the Murrell Hotel
which was in the middle of the block, across from the courthouse on
Race Street. This building has since been many banks, the original
structure long gone. 1907 postal card.
04 Old Oil City Depot, contributed by Bill Riddle of San
Francisco, CA This photo was taken about 1920. The men in the photo
are not known. This station already existed when Clayborne Butler
became the Oil City stationmaster in 1911 and was used until it was
destroyed by fire in 1926. The fire was caused by an overheated
stove which was briefly left unattended.
"New Oil City Depot", contributed by Bill Riddle of San Francisco,
CA This photo, taken in 1927, shows the new Oil City railroad
station shortly after its completion. The people posing on the
railroad track are the stationmaster Clayborne Butler, his spouse,
and their four daughters. That station remained in use until 1954,
when passenger service on the spur line between Park City and
Glasgow was discontinued. It is told that in 1970 the entire station
was moved to an unknown location.
06 "Park City Depot", People not identified.
07 Missionary Baptist Church, contributed by
Vickie Connor. The Missionary Baptist Church was organized at Union
# 2 on December 23, 1905. The church is located about 12 miles east
of Glasgow, Kentucky, and about a mile west from Nobob Hwy 839 in
08 This is how the corner of Main and Race
Streets looked in 1920. Standing on the corner was a bank building
now occupied by L. C. Ellis Drugs. Them most unusual thing in this
picture, however, is the number of unclaimed parking spaces. Today
are simply not available like that today. This picture was at the
corner of North Race Street and West Washington Street in Glasgow
09 Mammoth Cave Rail Bus. Mammoth Cave Rail Bus (1912)
Operated between Glasgow Junction and Mammoth Cave as a replacement
for the Dummy Locomotive and Coach. Pictured, left front, Mr. J. B.
Whitney, conductor and general manager. Others unidentified
10 Rural Post Office, Compliments of The Cave City Progress
- Bicentennial Issue, March 1974, Glasgow Republican, Glasgow Daily
Times. Rural Post Office wagons waiting for the mail in Cave City.
11 View of Second Street looking North toward Cave City,
prior to construction of 31-W in 1934.
12 Home of John and
Sally Grimes Southwood, contributed by Leah Routien. Leah's
grandparents John and Sally Grimes Southwood, built this home on
Beaver Creek, near Parnell, about 1810. It is now under the lake.
The picture was taken Circa 1939.